Have you ever looked out your window and thought of how important this product is in your life? If not, you should. Your windows provide natural light, air flow control, aesthetic character and most importantly an insulated barrier for your home’s efficiency. So do you have the best solution available to you and your family?
Present-day windows offer a variety of design and insulation options that can be tailored to your specific climatic needs, which can make it easier for your heating and cooling system to keep your home comfortable.
Since 2002, Remodeling Magazine has produced the Cost vs. Value report. This report combines project cost estimates from remodelers, builders, and homeowners with resale value estimates from realtors. Nationally the average window replacement project will cost between $16,000 to $20,000 depending upon the type and amount of windows applied (either wood or vinyl) and established that this increased the resale value of a home by $11,800 to $13,500 or 69.5% to 74.3% return on the investment (ROI) and this does not include the energy (operational) savings you will capture on your utility bills. By comparison a major upscale Kitchen remodel will provide a 53.5% ROI and does not necessarily provide an operational savings. Therefore, one of the best ways to improve your home is to determine if you have efficient windows.
Here are the top 5 signs you need new windows:
- High Energy Bills: On a cold day, stand next to your windows. Does it feel cooler than the rest of your home? Touch your windows. If the glass feels cold to the touch, the warm air from your furnace is being cooled down as soon as it gets within a few feet of your windows. Not only is this uncomfortable but it’s such a waste! Grab a candle or burning incense stick. Hold it by your window frames and slowly move it around each corner of the window. If the candle flickers or the smoke moves, drafts are travelling through your windows. If your windows are on the older side, it’s likely that much of the heat produced by your furnace and the cooling from your air conditioner is going to waste.
- Window Operation: Walk around your home to open and close each window to check for smooth operation. If it requires a bit of force and pressure to open or if they’re painted or swollen shut, it’s time to replace them. Wood windows can be particularly bad for this. Opening your windows should not be a chore or a source of exercise, they should open and close effortlessly.
- Decaying Frames and Leaky Windows: One of the clearest signs that you need to replace your windows are decaying window frames. As wooden window frames are exposed to moisture, they swell and warp. Built up moisture damage can also cause more serious decay and severe safety issues. If you notice operational issues above, you may have moisture issues as well. Additionally, you may also notice that you have windows that are leaking. In some cases, your windows may be leaking so bad that they are leaving a pool of water on your floor. The longer you postpone replacing your windows the better chance the leaking window will generate another major problem. mold.
- Sound Proofing: Take a moment to stand quietly by the window and wait for a car to drive by. Can you hear it coming from down the street? Single-pane windows or even double-pane windows will transfer sound vibrations from the street into your house. The best energy efficient windows will absorb these sound waves before they enter your home.
- Condensation: Do you regularly see fog or condensation building up on your windows? You will need to analyze which kind of condensation you are dealing with because not all condensation is bad. Depending on where it is appearing on the window, it may not be a cause for concern. However, if you do see condensation in between the two panes of glass, this is a sure sign that your windows’ seals have failed and it’s time to replace them before your windows get to the leaky stage.
Replacing the old windows in your home could mean great things for your family, budget and value of your home. From improved comfort to significant energy savings, there’s much to gain from a window replacement. Consider the ways these benefits can impact your family’s happiness and comfort, and contact C2 Operations for a free estimate on replacing your windows and doors.
Article published in Purcellville Living Magazine.